Sunday, September 6, 2015

Malware on Macs - It's Here

Ever heard that MacBooks can’t get viruses? That may have been true, but not anymore.


Everyone that works with the Windows environment has probably experienced a virus or some sort of malware at some point. However, it was almost unheard of for a Mac computer to get a virus.

When a friend contacted me about a virus, I became nervous when I found out it was a Mac.





I have been interested in computers for years, and working in IT (Information Technology) for three years now. I own a small computer repair and consulting business, as well as working at a free help desk at Penn State DuBois. I have never personally experienced working a Mac with a virus – until August.

A student and friend came to me, asking me to look at her computer. She stated she was on a website needed to complete a homework assignment, and suddenly her computer was experiencing pop-ups. She stated it had never happened before. When I walked into the room, I became extremely nervous when I saw it was a Mac.

I approached the situation with a similar “attack” as I would with a Windows computer. I installed an anti-virus. In this case, I installed Symantec because it is offered free to Penn State Students. After Symantec was installed and the virus definitions were updated, I ran a scan. The scan immediately picked up files. I used their interface to delete the files and ran a scan again. The scan came back clean and I turned the computer back over, letting her know that if it still acted up, to let me know.

It was not even a day before she told me she was still experiencing pop-ups. I picked up the computer and started doing some research. Most of my normal anti-virus tools are not made to work with anything but Windows. I was in completely unknown territory.

I was pleased to find that my favorite tool, Malwarebytes, had as recently July released a version for Mac. After installing in on the computer and running an updated scan, I removed the adware that was still on the computer and responsible for the pop-ups. The computer has since been running normally!

What to do to Protect your Mac from Malware without Paying Big


1. Anti-Virus – Your computers defense against downloading malware. You should always have one on your computer, of any like. I recommend:



2. Tools if You’ve Become Infected – If you’re just now installing an anti-virus or a virus has gotten past yours, I first recommend using your anti-virus to run a scan. Make sure your virus definitions are up to date, easily checked on your anti-virus's main screen. If it persists, I recommend:


3. If a Virus Persists – If you continue to have issues after using an anti-virus and Malwarebytes, I recommend that you take your computer to a professional. 

Thank you for reading, 

Manda!



4 comments:

  1. You're off to a great start! As a Mac-person, I found this really helpful. When you throw in a picture of your dogs, I know we're kindred spirits. Change the name of your blog to draw outside readers.

    Dr C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dr. Chapin, I have a Mac as well and so far (knock on wood) haven't had any virus scares. However, I always leave my safari up and running with multiple tabs when i close my laptop..is there anything i should do or any tips to keep my computer safe from viruses??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend making sure you have an anti-virus! As i said above, you can get symantec free as a penn state student. If not, I recommend AVG. I also recommend downloading malwarebytes free for Mac as I said above. Malwarebytes free does not scan on its own, so it does not function as an anti-virus. However, should you suspect you have a virus, you can manually run a scan! It's great a picking up things. Both scans should be straight forward and there is a removal tool included after the scans if needed.

      Delete
  3. These exercises done by the infection cause the PC to be perform slowly in light of the fact that the infection assaults the memory and system data transfer capacity of the PC by taking up a large portion of it.
    malware removal guide

    ReplyDelete