Sunday, October 4, 2015

Welcome OS X El Capitan

What is OS X El Capitan?



El Capitan is the newest software update for the Mac operating system. El Capitan released on September 30th, 2015 and comes packed with new functionality. Many of the update's features focus on multi-tasking and productivity. I want to share some of my favorite new features. 

Top 3 Favorite New Features

Split View 

Something I have loved about every Windows distribution since Windows 7 is the ability to snap windows to each side of the screen allowing you to easily view two different windows. When I purchased my Macbook towards the end of summer, I found myself struggling without this tool. 

OS X El Capitan introduced Split View which allows you to use two applications in full screen mode simultaneously as shown in the photo to the right. You can use this function by clicking and holding on the green full screen mode button in the top left of the application. When you do this, half of the screen will highlight in a nice blue color, and you can drag the application into the area. After setting your first window, you will be allowed to choose from any other windows you have open for the second window. 

The New "Notes"

The Notes application also got a well needed upgrade with OS X El Capitan. I had an iPad several months before I got a Macbook. I found it extremely odd that you could not sync your notes between devices. I do not personally have an iPhone, but I know that if I did, I would definitely appreciate this functionality. Now, all notes will sync across your devices. 

You can now also make checklists in Notes, adding more functionality to the quick note application. 

 Spotlight - Using Your Own Words

Spotlight got an update as well. This update allows you to use your own words to search your computer for files, photos, e-mails, and more. In the example I am sharing to the right, I was able to locate my recent documents despite their saved location by using "documents in the last week." 

This use of Spotlight allows you to preview documents or files and view a list of all files meeting your search terms. 

Other New Features

There are several more new features included in the update. Some of these include:
  • Photos - New Editing Abilities
  • Safari - Pinned Sites - similar to a favorite's bar in Chrome
  • Mission Control - Windows are arranged according to your current desktop arrangement. 
  • Call out your Cursor - If you lose your mouse on the screen, shaking your finger on the trackpad will grow your mouse icon.

Interested in Learning More?


Thanks for reading, 

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I wasn't aware of the upgrade. I'm most excited about the split view.
    Writing is clean. Content is useful. I'm a happy camper.
    Dr C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I just downloaded this update the other day. Not happy with the split view; I'd use it most with Chrome and Word and it simply won't let me split view Word. Pretty content with it besides that.

    ReplyDelete